Devorah Major, poet and teacher, and other Bay Area poets lead classes through two 90-minute sessions at the de Young and the Legion of Honor. Students participate in a variety of writing excercises designed to raise their awareness of the art objects they are viewing and to sharpen their ability to use language effectively to interpret what they are seeing and experiencing around them.
Know Before You Go
- Poets in the Galleries 2014-15 dates are now available. Reservations requests for the 2014-2015 year will be accepted beginning August 1, 2015.
- Reservations are required a minimum of eight weeks in advance.
- Poets in the Galleries is free, but reservations must be held with a deposit check of $100 made out to COFAM
- Please use one reservation form for each class or teacher.
- Poetry classes are appropriate for student in grades 4 through 12.
- Maximum 30 students per class.
- Classes offered Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursdays; two successive weekly visits.
- Sessions are 1 and ½ hour long.
- Morning session: 9:30 am–11 am or afternoon session: noon–1:30 pm.
Poets in the Galleries is made possible with support from the The Joseph & Mercedes McMicking Foundation.