Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn (Dutch, 1606–1669). The Shell (Conus Marmoreus) (detail), 1650. Etching, drypoint and engraving. Museum purchase, gift of Dr. T. Edward and Tullah Hanley by exchange, Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts Endowment Fund and Anonymous Bequest. 1997.42
The Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts (AFGA) is the department responsible for the Museums’ collection of works of art on paper: prints, drawings and artist books. Selections from the collection are exhibited in rotating exhibitions in specially designated galleries at the de Young and the Legion of Honor, while the remainder of the collection is stored in the department’s state-of-the-art facilities located at the Legion of Honor, along with the Museums’ collection of photography. Much of the collection is available for viewing at the Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts Study Center.
The department is named for Moore and Hazel Achenbach, who gave the bulk of their collection to the city of San Francisco in 1948 and the remainder upon Mr. Achenbach’s death in 1963. When they formed the collection, the Achenbachs intended that it would systematically illustrate the entire development of the graphic arts, from the fifteenth century to the present day. Through gifts, purchases and the generous support of additional donors, curators of the AFGA have worked steadily over the years to realize this goal, filling in gaps and moving the collection forward into the twenty-first century. Today, with more than 90,000 works of art, the AFGA is the largest repository of works of art on paper in the western United States.