The following policies apply to the museum’s indoor and outdoor areas:
All parcels and bags are subject to inspection by security. Standard-size backpacks and strollers allowed. Bags larger than 8" h x 8" w x 5" d must be carried by hand. Some exhibitions have restricted stroller access.
- metal-framed backpacks
- oversized packs and bags
- long umbrellas
- rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters
- baby-carrier backpacks (unless convertible to the front) and oversized or jogging strollers
- knives, box cutters, and scissors
- flowers, plants, feathers, and balloons
- flammable liquids
- permanent markers and spray paint
- bicycles (bicycles can be secured at outside racks)
Shirt and shoes are required (no cleats or wheeled shoes).
Still photography allowed except in special exhibition galleries. No video, tripods, or flash photography.
Food and beverages allowed only in the Cafe and adjoining terrace.
City ordinance does not permit smoking in the museum or the park.
Please silence cell phones and pagers.
Only service animals are allowed in the museum.
Sketching for individuals with pencil on a small (9” x 12” or smaller) hand-held pad is allowed during public hours in the permanent collection.
Sketching in special exhibition galleries is by permission only, subject to lender and gallery restrictions.
Please read our sketching, photography, and painting rules/permit application for more information: