Galleries in Focus (Grades 4–8)
Docents at the Fine Arts Museums help students discover their ability to look at, think about, and enjoy art. Working with small groups in the galleries, docents encourage dialogue about the art, artists, and cultures represented in the collections. Tours are available for permanent collections or temporary special exhibitions. Special exhibition tours are subject to availability.
The de Young collection—encompassing American art; art from Africa, Oceania, and the Americas; and costume and textile arts—reflects an active conversation among cultures, perspectives, and time periods.
The collections at the Legion of Honor offer unique insights into the art historical, political, and social movements of the previous 4,000 years of human history. Holdings include European paintings; European decorative arts and sculpture; ancient art from the Mediterranean basin; and one of the nation’s largest repositories of works of art on paper.
If your group is interested in a temporary special exhibition tour, please review the special exhibition options available before completing your request.
- Guided Galleries in Focus tours are for 4th–12th grades.
- Guided tours are offered January 14, 2020–May 29, 2020. Tours are usually 45 minutes long, depending on the age of the group.
- Guided school group tours are available at the de Young Tuesdays at 9:45 am and 11 am.
- Guided school group tours are available at the Legion of Honor every third Tuesday at 10 am and 11 am.
- Groups are not scheduled on the first free Tuesday of every month.
Schedule a Visit
- The Galleries in Focus Program is free. If you need to cancel or change your reservation, please let us know at your earliest convenience. Cancellations made with less than three weeks notice means we will be unable to fill the slot and other students will not be able to attend.
- Each Galleries in Focus time accommodates one class of 30 or fewer students. Larger groups require multiple time slots; options may be fewer and depend on availability.
Request a reservation online:
- Schedule a Galleries in Focus tour at the de Young
- Schedule a Galleries in Focus tour at the Legion of Honor
Resources For Educators
Prepare for your group's visit with our Teacher Guides.