Self-Guided Visits (Grades K–12)
The museums recognize that educators frequently prefer to tour their own students through the museum collections. We are able to offer free admission, based on availability. The Museums support self-guided visits by providing resources for in-class and in-gallery study on the Resources for Educators page. Due to limited ticket availability, unregistered groups are not guaranteed entry or free admission.
The collections at the Legion of Honor offer unique insight into the art historical, political, and social movements of the previous 4,000 years of human history. Holdings include European paintings; European decorative arts and sculpture; ancient art from the Mediterranean basin; and one of the nation’s largest repositories of works of art on paper.
If your group is interested in seeing a temporary special exhibition, please review the special exhibition options available before completing your request.
Schedule a Visit
- June 2–September 30, 2019: Visits available at both the de Young and Legion of Honor Tuesdays–Fridays starting at 9:30 am.
- October 1, 2019–June 1, 2020: Visits available at the de Young Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays starting at 12:30 pm, and starting at 9:30 am on Thursdays. Visits available at the Legion of Honor Tuesdays, Thursday, and Fridays starting at 9:30 am, and starting at 1 pm on on Wednesdays.
- A minimum of 4 weeks advance notice is required for self-guided tours.
- School groups are restricted from visiting special exhibitions during the first and last two weeks they are on view. Available slots are Tuesdays–Fridays at 10 am, 10:30 am, noon, and 12:30 pm.
- For groups larger than 60, we require a completed Large-Group Orientation Form to be sent four weeks in advance.
- All K–12 students must be chaperoned by an adult at all times, without exception. The museums require a 1:10 ratio of adults to students.
- Self-guided visits are free. If you need to cancel or change your reservation, please let us know at your earliest convenience. Last minute cancellations means we will be unable to fill the slot and other students will not be able to attend.
Request a Reservation Online:
Things to Know
- Lunch arrangements must be made by the school and must take place offsite. We do not have a sheltered place for students to eat if it is raining.
- When visiting the Legion, carefully plan to leave backpacks offsite, due to limited storage capabilities within the museum.