Field Trips for Grades K–3 (Tour + Studio)
Learning to Look is a free three part program for grades K-3 at the de Young Museum. The program, aligned to the California state standards in language and visual arts and consists of:
- Visit preparation: The museum provides teachers with pre-visit lessons that prepare students for their field trip.
- Gallery tour: Students have an opportunity to view and discuss a small number of thematically linked works of art. Museum educators use Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) as well as in-gallery activities to encourage students to share observations, back up ideas with evidence, and discuss many possible interpretations.
- Studio art activity: students continue to explore the museum collections through activities that emphasize process, not product.
Program Themes by Grade Level
- Kindergarten: students explore shapes and lines while learning about overlapping and patterning in a community-centered project.
- 1st Grade: students investigate textures and patterns in the galleries so that they're ready to work with clay in the studio.
- 2nd Grade: there is symmetry and color all over the museum. After some color mixing, students see what they can compose.
- 3rd Grade: students experiment with printmaking materials and processes incorporating rhythm and movement.
Registration for 2019–2020 field trips school programs has closed. All field trips for the remainder of the 2020 school year have been canceled due to the museum closure. Registration for 2020–2021 field trips will open summer of 2020. To receive information about registration openings for the 2020–2021 school year, sign up for our newsletter.
- As the City of San Francisco’s Museums, we prioritize SFUSD schools in the booking process. All other requests are processed in the order received. The Learning to Look Reservation Request Form is available here.
- Learning to Look guided visits are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10 am and 10:15 am.
- Please note that the guided tour and studio art activity require a two-hour commitment.
- Groups are not scheduled on the first free Tuesday of every month.
Schedule a Visit Online
- A minimum of 8 weeks' advance notice is required.
- Please note that the maximum size of a class group is 30 students. Larger groups require multiple slots. All requests are subject to availability.
- If you need to cancel or change your reservation, please let us know at your earliest convenience. Cancellations made with less than three weeks notice means we will be unable to fill the slot and other students will not be able to attend.
- A minimum of one adult chaperone is required for every 10 students.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call 415.750.7696.